Biblical Leadership | Titus 1:5-16
Pastor Anton Brown - 2/19/2023
Big Idea: A biblical church is stewarded by a plurality of elders.
- Qualified men (5-9)
- Who steward doctrine (9, 13)
- Guard the faith (10-16)
Bible Fellowship Group Study Questions:
- See verses 5-9. What does it mean that Titus was to appoint elders? The word appoint in Acts 14:23 indicates elders were voted into office. Would Paul give Titus more, less, or the same authority to appoint as Paul gave himself?
- Why is the role of elder limited to qualified men? See 1 Timothy 2:12-13. While the role of authoritative teaching is limited to men, what can we say about female leadership otherwise?
- What is the primary task of the elder in light of verse 9 & 13? What other responsibilities might belong to the elder? See Acts 6:1-7.
- In verses 10-16, Pastor Anton indicated that the task of an elder includes guarding the faith of the church. What might that entail? Consider aspects of these verses in your answer.
- How might you support the work of the elders as a member of a congregational church? How might the congregation do this?